TRAVEL DIARY: FOUR DAYS IN ZADAR



For the past couple of years I always went away for my birthday. "A really cool birthday present from me for myself", is what I like to call those trips. It has kind of become a tradition, and it definitely should stay that way. Last year I went to Madrid for a few days with Tanja, and the year before I went to Piran over the weekend with Michaela. & this year? I went to Zadar, Croatia.. on my own. 
Oh, and don't panic! You haven't forgotten to send me your "Happy birthday"-wishes, I just went a week earlier 😜😅 (as nobody cared about my birthday anymore when I came home last year, a few days after it)




MONDAY 07/05/18
Woke up quite early today and headed to Zadar. Alone. Whilst driving here, I felt quite nervous, yet excited as this is my first solo travel outside of Austria. Once I saw the sea, all my doubts and sorrows flew away - this was the right thing. After I arrived here, I did a little bit of 'shopping' and then spent some time on the beach before I could finally check in in my apartment. (If you're curious, I booked this apartment on airbnb, which is a bit outside of Zadar) After a much needed shower and some time chilling on the couch, I headed back out. Athletic as I am, I walked all the way to the center of Zadar, which took me about 50 minutes. There I wandered around for quite some time - sat by the sea, walked around a park, listened to the "Sea Organ", took a few photos and then after a few hours, walked back home. By the time I got home, my feet were slowly, but surely killing me. (note to self: don't walk that route in sandals, ever again) Even though I couldn't walk properly, I headed out once again: to watch the sunset. And oh my, I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on that. ☺️ & now it's time for bed - the 5 hour drive and the nearly 16 km walk today took a toll on me. Good night. 






TUESDAY 08/05/18
Spent most of the day at the beach, soaking up the sun and reading. Even got a little sunburn (I did put on some lotion tho!) and now I'm already shedding parts of my skin.. Apart from that, I walked around the neighbourhood a bit, drove around the city and did some grocery shopping. I made myself pizza, sat outside on the terrace, listened to some podcasts and had a pamper evening. Now I'm watching the Eurovision Song Contest like every year (Do any of you guys watch that as well?) and then it's time for bed again.











WEDNESDAY 09/05/18
Today when I woke up, the rain was coming down in sheets. Fortunately, it cleared up and the sun did come out after a while. So I packed my bag and walked all the way to Zadar again - this time I walked alongside the sea and took a few photos. (totally made a fool out of myself.. again) Once I was in Zadar, I climbed up the bell tower, and had a look at the city from above. (cost: 15 Kuna). After that it was time for some ice cream - and now I have a new favourite ice cream flavour: MOJITO! 🍹😜 Once I finished souvenir shopping and had enough of strolling around the city and all those people, I walked back home, where I relaxed for a bit. 

Some time later, I packed my backpack again and headed to a small town called 'Nin', which is apparently one of the oldest towns in Croatia and was only about a 20 minute drive away. As it's located on an islet with a diameter of 500m, it's really small - however, also really cute. I bought a postcard there and the guy working at the Trafika was really funny and we had a little chat. (Why am I always so surprised when strangers are nice to me?) Before heading back home, I went to the little church called Sv. Nikole, which is situated on a hill a bit outside of Nin. You can't go inside tho, so there's basically nothing else to do as to have a look from the outside and take a few pictures, which is exactly what I did. Back at the apartment, I made myself dinner and then went to watch the sunset by the sea again. ☺️





THURSDAY 10/05/18
As this is my last full day here, I spent most of the day on the beach: reading, listening to podcasts and just chilling. And now I've got a really weird sunburn on my back. (well, I guess, that's the downside of traveling alone.. putting on sunscreen on your back, yourself? not that easy I can tell you! 😅) Thankfully it doesn't hurt much, as I also wouldn't be able to put some after sun-product on it. 😅 What else? Went shopping, made dinner, posted some postcards and went to the beach to watch the sunset one last time. There was this swing at the beach, which I spent some time on tonight. Oh, all those memories. I felt like a happy little kid again - and also received some weird looks by the people walking by, but I couldn't have cared less. Back in the apartment, I started packing the majority of my stuff whilst waiting for the Eurovision Song Contest to start. 





Friday 11/05/18
Woke up early today, packed the rest of my belongings and then went to the beach for the  very last time. Sat there for about half an hour, just listening to the sound of the waves and enjoying the view. At around 9:45 I got in my car and drove home. I was really excited to see everyone again, so when I arrived at home over five hours later.. nobody was there. This happens every damn time 😅

It's been a few hours now, and it still feels kinda weird being at home. Although, I'm really happy about it, obviously. Now that everyone's home, I'll go spend some time with the family and tell them all about my trip. ☺️



wanna read more posts from Croatia?
UMAG  //  PULA


xo, Lena


 follow me on: Bloglovin // Facebook // Instagram


2 comments:

  1. ... sogar ohne Google Translate verstanden ����

    ReplyDelete