AUTUMN IN MARIBOR! - sLOVEnia #4




My love for spontaneous trips shouldn't be a secret to you anymore. Recently the perfect day for such trips seems to be Sunday. My Sundays used to be nearly all the same - me lying on the couch, in front of the TV, a bottle of water next to me and hoping that my hangover from the night before would go away soon. 😉However, since I've been working full-time I appreciate my free time on the weekends more and that's why I want to make the best out of it. Yes, I still love those lazy Sundays, and they are very much needed from time to time, but mostly I want to do stuff, go places, explore. So last Sunday I went to Maribor.

A bit of basic information about Maribor:
second biggest city of Slovenia 
European capital of culture 2012
located in Lower Styria
divides into 11 districts
situated along the river 'Drava' (german: Drau)


Our first stop was the main park  - the Maribor City Park - with the City Aquarium and Terrarium (which we didn't pay a visit) and a wide promenade which leads to the Three Ponds - Trije ribniki. It contains over 100 local and foreign species of trees. As you can see, it's such a nice place to just chill and just enjoy the nature apart from all the city noises and the hecticness.





So after a really short walk through the city park we finally went up the hill 'Piramida' - where once the Maribor castle used to stand - which is approximately 380 meters high. I don't know about you guys, but I love if there's a place where you can get a great view over a city - like a bell tower, a viewing point, or in this case a hill. Going up the hill takes you about 15 - 20 minutes I'd say.






During the summer time there's a small bar which serves soft drinks or wine and there's also a summer film festival taking place up that hill. Which sounds amazing and I'm quite sad that I didn't know about this before. The films are in Slovenian though, so I wouldn't have understood a single word. 😉





I'm so happy that I went there, especially in the fall time, because the leaves of the vine stocks were colored in all these amazing red, orange and yellow tones and ah, autumn is such a magical time of the year for me. 🍁🍂🍃We also sat between two rows of vine for awhile and just enjoyed the amazing view and the atmosphere in general. Sometimes that is all you need.


Now that I've seen Maribor from above, I definitely want to go back soon and have a stroll through the city and see what the city itself has to offer. So if you've already been to Maribor, or even live there and have any tips (e.g. where they serve the best coffee in town), places I have to see,  or any cool events taking place - Please let me know in the comments below. Thanks already in advance. 😊



xo, Lena



also can't get enough of Slovenia?
 follow me on: Bloglovin // Facebook // Instagram




1 comment:

  1. Such a great post, looks like a place I'd like to visit myself! :)

    ReplyDelete